ABOUT

About

Our History

In May 1964, Mignon B. Johnson organized a group of 11 women which became known as "The Missing Links." The Washington, DC Chapter served as sponsor for the group. On November 19, 1966, at the home of Catherine Tate, the 11 “Link Elects” were installed by Link Beatrice Butler (31st Eastern Area Director) and chartered as The Arlington (VA) Chapter, becoming the 31st chapter in the Eastern Area, of The Links, Incorporated
 
The first officers of the Arlington (VA) Chapter were:  Mignon Johnson (President), Pauline Ellison (Vice President), Catherine Tate (Treasurer), Doris Thompson, (Corresponding Secretary), and Eleanor Monroe (Recording Secretary).  Other members were Elizabeth Hazel, Carrie James, Virginia Moore, Evelyn Syphax, Margarite Syphax and Mildred Turner.
The Arlington (VA) Chapter has been known for its award-winning programs and projects of service for the betterment of life for others locally (Northern Virginia service area) and nationally.  A few of the most significant programs include:
  • Pacer Centers which assisted parents and children in coping with the multitudinal learning and discipline problems.
  • Voter Education and Registration Sponsored voter education and registration drives.
  • Adopt-A-School, now referred to as Partnership in education programs, which provides a continuous support system for students and school administrators.
 
The Arlington (VA) Chapter Historical Recognition
  • Presented a picture of Henry L. Homes, the only Commissioner of Revenue for Arlington County from July 1, 1876 to December 31, 1903 .The picture was presented to the Arlington County Board in 1985.  It hung in the lobby of the Henry L. Holmes building until the demolition of the building. 
  • The Scholarship Program was established in recognition of Eleanor Monroe’s significant contribution as the first Black Arlington County School Board member.  Scholarship recipients  were expanded to include students who had demonstrated academic excellence as well as students who showed high potential for achieving their career goals.
  • Project Lead High Expectations, the goal to develop a field-tested, innovative, community-based education outreach program to prevent alcohol and drug abuse, unintended births and sexually transmitted diseases among youth. The Arlington Chapter was selected as one of the first chapters to pilot the project in 1988.
  • The Arlington Chapter earned a place on the National Links Honor Roll by contributing $11,250 to the National Links Building Fund.
  • Monte Carlo, the chapter's signature fundraiser and an enjoyable evening with family and friends, began in 1970 and is sponsored every other year.
  • The Arlington Chapter has produced three national presidents elected from membership: Link Pauline Ellison (6th National President), Link Dolly Adams (8th National President), and  Link Kimberly Jeffries Leonard (17th National President). Worthy of note, Link Patricia Russell McCloud elected the 11th National President, was a former member of the Arlington Chapter where she was inducted into membership. 

 

 

The Arlington (VA) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated

P.O. Box 6252

Arlington, VA 22206

ArlingtonLinksCom1@gmail.com

Website design by: SociaLife Designs, LLC